Wednesday 11 January 2012

AWoL - Too Many Gifts to Make

Oh boy am I glad that Christmas has now been and gone.  I ended up making wayyy too many presents...especially for Ava.  Why is it that a simple little idea can more often take the longest time to finish?

All tlf work has been shelved for too long...what with all the crafting that has been going on in this house.  Let's not mention all the usual house and home related stuff that has to be taken care of too - who knew that 2 little girls could generate so much washing!?  Especially now that Chloe eats just like her big sister (which also means massive exploding nappy loads than lead to yet more clothing changes - tmi? sorry), but really messy like.

Anyhow, I thought that I would share some of the gifts that I made.  First up are these little wooden people - or us as a wooden family - a gift for Ava.


Mommy, Daddy, Ava, Chloe, Daisy and Poppy






hmmm...why is this dress style so familiar to me?


Now this dress is really familiar....


So, our dogs, Daisy and Poppy, are miniature sausage dogs.  These balls are teeny tiny!  Like less than 2cm diameter teeny tiny.  The big question was always going to be "how the heck do you turn a sausage into a ball????!".  Let alone the issue of painting the details of a black dog.  They turned out ok, we can even tell the difference between the 2.  Poppy is chunkier (am being polite here) than Daisy.  Which one do you reckon is Poppy?



Am rather pleased with how they turned out.  But, I had to cut this project short, I still have more to paint and just ran out of time.  2 grannies and 2 grampa's are still to join our family.

I searched high and low here in the UK for similar wooden dolls.  I ended up buying these dolls (and a whole bunch of wooden coins) from Goose Grease Undone on Etsy, in the US.  One of the dolls arrived with a serious head wound.  I contacted them and they posted me a replacement straight away.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone else.  Their shops are worth a visit, if not anything else than to see the custom dolls they sell....immaculately and beautifully painted!

Enjoy!

No comments: