Friday 13 January 2012

Alphabet Blocks - another Ava present

Inspired by these Alexander Girard alphabet blocks

I bought a Dremmel and started engraving 30 (!) 5cm wooden blocks with the alphabet.  After almost 1 alphabet was complete, I realised how thick I was and that this was a stupidly mammoth project that was never going to get finished.

So this is what they ended up looking like:


PJ's are another Christmas pressie.


I just love those little starfish fingers...


...and the concentration needed to build a tower.
 

I ended up using the Actopus to Zelephant scrap book papers.  2 sides have the alphabet letters - the size of the alphabet paper is absolutely perfect for 5cm blocks.  2 sides are puzzles - rather advanced puzzles I must admit (frogs on 1 and butterflies/leaves on the other).  2 sides are just patterns.  But all sides are great for grouping and sorting activities.  Daddy tlf kindly filled my previous dremmel botch and sanded the blocks nice and smooth and I modge podged all the paper on.  It didn't take too long, but was still quite a time consuming project for evenings only.

Now I just have to figure out what to store them in.  I had planned on sewing a draw string bag for Christmas...but that was one of the time-casualities.

Enjoy!

No comments: